We are blessed with dedicated volunteers who share their talents and time to enhance the lives of our congregants and the community. Please join us! It’s rewarding, enjoyable, and is a wonderful opportunity to develop new friendships. Please contact the GRS office for details.
The GRS Member Services committee works to bring the Jewish calendar to life, creating meaning through ritual, shared experience, and memory — finding a happy, comfortable place in which to be Jewish. Our activities include:
- Holiday cooking workshops: Learn to prepare yummy fare along with wonderful traditions that only shared time in the kitchen can impart.
- Progressive dinners for Selichot: A wonderful night for the community to share small dinners in private homes and come together at the synagogue for dessert and a beautiful service designed to get us thinking about the High Holy Days, just days away.
- Sukkot – a chance to revisit life with less: Join us to build our simple hut just days after Yom Kippur. Then, enjoy the stars through the latticed roof for meals, meetings, and more during this week-long harvest festival.
- Casual Fridays – Shabbat in shorts for everyone! Monthly during the summer we celebrate this most special of holidays in backyards and at the beach. Kids play while adults catch up. Truly a relaxed, fun family way to end the week.
We meet one Friday morning a month throughout the year to learn, brainstorm, plan, and enjoy good coffee with good people. It’s just 90 minutes, so let us know you’re interested and we’ll get you our schedule of meetings; contact Nancy at email@example.com.
The GRS community is dedicated to Tikkun Olam, partnering to repair the world. We coordinate a range of activities including:
- Food and coat drives
- Serving meals at soup kitchens
- Holiday gift drives for underprivileged children
- Relief efforts for an orphanage in Israel
- Nursing home events to entertain the elderly
Members of the GRS Social Action Committee help those in need, both within our larger community and around the globe. GRS collects and cooks food that both adults and children serve each month at our partner agency, Inspirica.
Inspirica provides services to those journeying from “homelessness to home.” Inspirica’s beautiful, modern facility is located on Franklin Street in Stamford, close to the Greenwich border. We need volunteers–adults and mature teens–who can lend their skills with:
- Children’s recreational activities
- Re-entering the job market
- Resume writing and interview skills
Please share your unique ideas and talents to support the adults and children living at Inspirica. The GRS Social Action Committee invites you to be a part of this important mitzvah. Please contact the GRS office for details.
Items below are needed for each of the ongoing donation programs:
- New twin bed sheet sets, twin blankets, bath towels, washcloths
- Personal hygiene items for men, women and children – full-size shampoos, soaps, conditioners, razors and deodorant
- Fragrance-free liquid laundry detergent
- Disposable diapers – all sizes
- Baby wipes
- Non-perishable food
We also need volunteers to donate and serve food the first Saturday of each month at the Inspirica’s Women’s Shelter. To find out what is needed, please contact the GRS office or sign up at Shabbat services.
If you have a passion to help others, join or lead one of our social action initiatives. Here are a few other examples:
- Inspirica, Stamford: GRS volunteers donate food and serve dinner each month. If you want to volunteer or donate, please contact Shelly Kaplan at 203-661-5422 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Neighbor to Neighbor, Greenwich: A food drive is held each year at Yom Kippur. Assisted by GRSTY, the temple youth group, the congregation helps to fill a van with food for the hungry.
- MAZON: A Jewish Response to Hunger: GRS supports MAZON, a highly rated national nonprofit organization dedicated to preventing and alleviating hunger among people of all faiths and backgrounds.
Music is a vital part of our congregational life, and we welcome everyone to participate. Our cantor elevates our prayers and spirits with her beautiful voice, taking special care to teach us how to join her in song. Anyone who loves to sing can join our Senior Choir, under the long-time direction of David Johnson.
The GRS community provides assistance to fellow members in times of need, whether someone needs a ride to Shabbat services or a friendly visit when recovering from illness or surgery. If you need help or know of someone who does, please contact the office at 203-629-0018.